Improving the performance of existing businesses and encouraging the creation and growth of new ones
Ensuring Dorset stays ahead of the game is crucial to its economic growth. Dorset LEP is putting mechanisms in place to unleash the potential of existing businesses, encourage the creation of new ones and attract investment.
A number of projects are already underway or in the preparatory stages, including capturing the Olympic Legacy with the Western Growth Corridor project, as well as the investment of £9.4million Growing Places Fund across Dorset.
The Dorset LEP is committed to:
- Creating a global hub for trade and international business – focussing particularly on opportunities linked to Bournemouth Airport, Port of Poole and Portland Port.
- Planning positively for sustainable economic growth, emphasising the need to be “open for business” particularly in more rural areas.
- Capturing the Olympic Legacy, focussed on Weymouth & Portland but reaching across the whole of Dorset by harnessing the investments that have already been made and creating new jobs and enterprises in the weakest part of the local economy.
- Securing opportunities for economic growth from offshore renewable recognising particularly the opportunities linked to the Eneco Navitus Bay, and other wind parks.
- Providing appropriate support to businesses from start-up to maturity, leading to appropriate support at each stage of the business growth.
- Encouraging businesses to “go global” – through export, investment, knowledge transfer, and building upon the work of the recently established Dorset Export Group and support available through Chambers of Commerce.
- Encouraging the work of, or development of, of sector specific advisory bodies.