Superfast Dorset - What is it?
Superfast Dorset is a partnership between BT, central Government and all Dorset District and Borough Councils that has the target of supplying 97% of Dorset with broadband coverage by 2018.
The project aims to fill in the gaps left by BT’s roll-out of fibre broadband so that the county benefits both socially and economically, preparing Dorset for a more digital future.
How will fibre broadband benefit my business?
Superfast broadband opens doors, allowing business to grow and work in new ways:
- Work from home. Work is something you do, not somewhere you go. A good broadband connection allows you to be productive in any location.
- Work collaboratively. Communicate quickly and effectively. Video-conferencing and file-sharing means that you can reach people when you need them, wherever they are.
- Work in real time. Fibre allows for hosted applications, reducing licensing costs. You can also say goodbye to annoying lags and pauses when transferring large files.
- Discover new markets. A Superfast connection means that you can reach potential customers the world over. Even within the UK, it is estimated that shoppers spent £52 billion online in 2015.
- Store data online. Store, back up and retrieve documents securely and easily, all without a single ring binder in sight.
- Be on trend. A faster connection allows your business to monitor and react to the latest industry trends, making staying ahead of the competition easier than ever.
How do I get it?
Step 1: Check if fibre is available at your location.
For the latest availability see: https://mapping.dorsetforyou.gov.uk/superfast/Checker
If it’s not available yet then keep informed as to when fibre is available for your postcode by signing up for Superfast Dorset’s availability newsletter to tell you when it has arrived: dorsetforyou.com/broadband/registration
If you’ve checked and you’re not in Superfast Dorset’s plans, there are other solutions to fibre that you can consider. See their alternative solutions page here: dorsetforyou.com/broadband/alternative-solutions
Step 2: Choose an internet service provider.
While Superfast Dorset provides the physical infrastructure, you must contact your internet service provider and ask them about fibre in order to take up a service. Remember to shop around as broadband prices can be very competitive. Comparison site U-switch has compiled a list of their top 10 business broadband packages, found here: uswitch.com/broadband/compare/business_broadband/
For more information about Superfast Dorset’s infrastructure project, visit: dorsetforyou.com/superfast
The Dorset LEP is working in partnership with Superfast Dorset to deliver even faster speeds to more businesses and homes via Ultrafast Broadband.