Bournemouth International Growth Programme
Growth Deal funding awarded £45,200,000
Funding awarded to Bournemouth Borough Council and Dorset County Council
The Bournemouth International Growth (BIG) Programme is a major economic growth plan focused on improving connectivity, easing congestion, protecting existing jobs and creating new ones in and around Bournemouth Airport and Wessex Fields.
£59.4 million (£45.2 million Local Growth Fund plus £14.2 million private/public sector match funding) has been secured from 2015 to 2021 to fund a series of economy-building transport and infrastructure investments along the A338 and B3073 corridors aimed at facilitating better access into and around Bournemouth Airport as well as unlocking employment land at Aviation Business Park and at Wessex Fields.
BIG Programme’s aims:
- Transform accessibility to and around Bournemouth Airport and Wessex Fields through extensive transport improvements
- Release up to 60 hectares of prime, flexible employment land for high-quality new business premises at Aviation Business Park and 6 hectares at Wessex Fields
- Provide the single largest employment opportunity in the south-east Dorset conurbation with the potential to create up to 10,000 new highly skilled jobs over the next decade
- Generate up to £500 million of GVA into the area
- Deliver around 350 new homes of which up to 50 per cent are affordable
- Deliver increased broadband capacity to Bournemouth Airport and Aviation Business Park
- Develop a new approach to improve skills and employee development, better tailoring it to the needs of key business sectors (aerospace, aviation, advanced manufacturing, digital media, marine, defence and financial services) This project is called the Skills Escalator – read the newsletter here
Projects within the Programme
- A338 Reconstruction (PROJECT COMPLETED)
- A338 Package: Blackwater Junction, Wessex Fields, Widening
- A348 Corridor
- Chapel Gate Roundabout (PROJECT COMPLETED)
- Hurn Roundabout (PROJECT COMPLETED)
- Parley Cross, Parley West, Parley East
- Frequently Asked Questions
- A338.info for more information about schemes that are underway
- A Green Book Appraisal has been undertaken in order to demonstrate the robust case for investment in the BIG Programme which is available to download here.
- Governance of the BIG Programme is detailed here.
- Download a copy of the Aviation Business Park/BIG Programme brochure here
- Subscribe to regular updates about the BIG Programme here.
- Businesses interested in locating to Aviation Business Park should contact Harvey Greenman