Local Industrial Strategy
In Autumn 2017, the UK Government published an Industrial Strategy White Paper which identifies five foundations of productivity - Ideas, People, Infrastructure, Business Environment and Places - which are the vital aspects of successful economies and societies and form the basis around which the Industrial Strategy is structured.
The Strategy also identifies four grand challenges – Artificial Intelligence & Data Economy, Clean Growth, Future of Mobility, and Ageing Society - which are focused on the global trends which will transform our future.
The national industrial strategy highlights the importance of place and the need for local industrial strategies to bring together the five foundations of productivity and the four grand challenges for the UK to increase productivity, earnings and wellbeing, locally and nationally.
Dorset Local Industrial Strategy
In December 2018, the government announced the entire country will benefit from Local Industrial strategies. Dorset LEP is now leading the process of producing a Local Industrial Strategy for Dorset.
We have set up a steering group that will oversee the development of the LIS. The group meets on monthly basis and comprises of LEP Board members and other key stakeholders from local businesses and organisations.
Our evidence base
Over the last two years, Dorset LEP has published a number of documents which provide a detailed overview of our direction of travel, a summary of our opportunities and ambitions, and a strong preparation for writing our Local Industrial Strategy.
Engage with Dorset’s future
- Current Events - For more information on events, click here.
- Survey - Participate in our survey and have your say!
- Call For Evidence - Submit your evidence here
- Blogs - Read the Local Industrial Strategy blogs here.
Our 5 foundations support our vision for a transformed economy:
- Ideas: the world’s most innovative economy
- People: good jobs and greater earning power for all
- Infrastructure: a major upgrade to the UK’s infrastructure
- Business Environment: the best place to start and grow a business
- Places: prosperous communities across the UK.
In early February 2019, Dorset LEP has published a call for evidence to help us prepare our LIS. The call for evidence is open to submissions from all local economic development stakeholders in the public, private and voluntary sectors. Evidence can include data sets, research papers, surveys or strategies that show the importance, innovation and future growth of particular sectors that are likely to bring new technological, skills breakthroughs or become a focus of future growth for the county.
Click here to learn more.
Future LIS events
Collaborative ownership of the strategy and stakeholder engagement will play a central role in the development of Dorset LIS. We recognise that there is a wide variety of stakeholders with a diverse range of aims and objectives and building consensus and prioritisation of aims and objectives will be therefore essential.
Throughout the process of developing Dorset LIS, there will be a range of opportunities for our partners and the public to input and influence the development of the strategy.
The first round of consultation events take place on:
- Wednesday 10 April: 8:30-10:30, Meyrick Suite, Hallmark Carlton Hotel, East Overcliff Drive, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH1 3DN
- Thursday 11 April: 8:30-10:30, Best Western, The Royal Chase Hotel, Salisbury Road, Shaftesbury, SP7 8DB
- Friday 12 April: 8:30-10:30, Kingston Maurward College, Dorchester, DT2 8PY
Check this page regularly for updates on upcoming events.
Dorset LEP Local Industrial Strategy steering group.